Saturday, September 11, 2010

The Test for an Argument to be Good

For an argument to be good:
1) The premises must be plausible for its reasoning.
2) The premises have to be more plausible than what the conclusion is.
3) The argument is valid or strong or both.

Jeff(to his GM): When I signed my contract, it was stated I would receive a bonus in my contract for having over 70 tackles by the end of the regular season and I have 78 tackles only 12 games through the season. Also, it would be doubled if I had more than 8 sacks and I have 9 sacks already. Therefore, I am entitled to my bonus because of my performance so far.


Analysis: The argument is plausible because that was what was stated in his original contract which in writing states that he is entitled to his bonus. The premises are more plausible than the conclusion because it is in writing it is considered to be a very strong argument that he will win.

No comments:

Post a Comment