Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Complex Arguments for Analysis

Question 2
I'm on my way to school. 1. I left five minutes late. 2. Traffic is heavy. 3. Therefore, I'll be late for class. 4. So I might as well stop and get breakfast. 5.

Argument:  Yes, there is an argument.
Conclusion:  Whether or not I stop for breakfast I will be late, therefore I should stop.
Additional premises needed?  To justify why stopping for breakfast and being more late to school is a good idea, would be to explain that I won't be missing much in the first half an hour of school therefore it is fine.  I would put this in between the 4th and 5th sentence.
Identify any subarguments: All of the arguments don't have to do with each other which come together to make the argument.
Good argument? I feel like this person is making an good argument because they lay out there reasoning for why they are doing this but I think that it isn't smart to do this because you shouldn't make yourself even more late to class.

I thought this exercise was useful because it allowed me to break down a response and go through and truly think about what is considered an argument, conclusion and subarguments and determine whether it was solid or nit.

No comments:

Post a Comment